[UFO Chicago] Flourish Conference Reminder

Samir Faci samir.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 11:36:02 PDT 2007

I just wanted to remind everyone that the Chicago Flourish Conference is
coming up this weekend.  Friday, April 6th and Saturday April 7th.
If you are planning on attending be sure to mark you calendars and be sure
to register on the website.  The main website should have information on how
to get to the conference, if you have any questions or concerns please feel
free to contact me.  Registration opens at 8 am, the presentations will be
begin at 10 am on both Friday and Saturday.

Don't forget to check out the hack-a-thon and come join us after the even at
IBM's HQ for the post-flourish social.

--
Samir Faci
UIC LUG President
---- Blog extract from main website --
 Question to the world of Free and Open Source Software: What are my
prospects when I graduate?
As many of you know by now, for the last few months here at UIC*, we - the
ACM* and g/LUG*,- have been eagerly working to put together a conference to
discus FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) as an engine of innovation.
The Flourish Conf. will take place next 6-7 of April at the University of
Illinois at Chicago.
I am a self confessed gnu/Linux user, I love gnu/Linux, free software and
even open source - sorry RMS!. I am also a CS student at the University of
Illinois at Chicago, and curiously enough, even though most of our curricula
is done in Unix - we even have 2 RedHat labs here, - it appears as if none
of the big players within FLOSS ever come to hire at UIC. Why is that
Microsoft comes here semester after semester snatching some of the most
brilliant students on campus? Yet, I have yet to see FLOSS big players to
come out here looking for people.

These has made me wonder: Is there a professional future in FLOSS? ....
... and I know I'm not alone in my wonders.

To answer these questions, we have invited quite a few of really smart
people from different organizations: Google, IBM, Red Hat, and the FSF, and
we are going to have a a chance to hear about the opportunities that FLOSS
has to offer for our future.
We will have two panels, a talk on GPL v3, a talk on Google's contribution
and use of FLOSS, among many other really interesting talks, etc. We have
also put together a series of technical talks on FLOSS related technologies
and topics, and a couple other really interesting activities to give
attendees a chance to meet and to be met: Friday's Social mixer, and
Saturday's Hack-a-Thon.
This is not only going to be a great time for students around Chicago, this
is going to be a great chance for community members, and companies to come
together and explore how FLOSS is shaping up our future!

Come and join us!

Roberto C. Serrano
g/LUG @ UIC vice-president