[UFO Chicago] web development opinions needed.

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Sat Sep 23 22:35:20 PDT 2006

jordanb at hafd.org wrote:
> Greg Groth said:
>> elements.  These forms can take up to 5 minutes to render in a browser,
>> but my co-workers are happy because it can take 20-24 man hours to do
>> this stuff by hand.  I could break up the form into multiple pages to
>> increase rendering speed, but overall it would take just as long to
>> render 10 large pages as 1 gigantic one.
>
> See my browser would swap and crap out on the gigantic page but it would
> actually load the small one.
>
> This really sounds like something that should be done not using the web.
> There are lots of things that would be better suited for this. Are your
> coworkers using Windows? Why not make a program in Access that operates
> a form that does this? Or heck, an Excel spreadsheet.

Because it has to cross reference the list of 1200-1500 line items
against 500,000+ skus.  This situation only happens a couple times a
year, and although it takes a while to load, everyone is quite happy
with how it works.  Only issue I had to handle was playing with the web
server & database timeout settings.

Greg Groth