[UFO Chicago] D'Oh

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Wed May 24 10:37:10 PDT 2006

On 5/24/2006 11:58 AM, sjk wrote:
> I have a 9GB scsi drive that has crashed out -- won't spin up. Though
> most of the data could be recreated, it would take a lot of work. Does
> anyone have any experience with a reasonably priced data recovery service?
>
> TIA

Not sure if this would help or not, but I was able to get a faulty drive
up and running for data recovery by replacing the controller card
mounted to the outside of it.  I tracked down a second drive of the
exact same make, model & size, and swapped the card.  When I reinstalled
the drive back in the pc, the drive came back to life, and I was able to
read the data.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to find another hard
drive in your case though, considering the size, I'm guessing it's kind
of old.  Obviously this will only work if the controller card is at
fault, and not the internals.

Greg Groth