[UFO Chicago] Story Of A Death Foretold -- Oracle And Sleepycat

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed Feb 15 12:39:53 PST 2006

Nate Riffe wrote:
> Brian Sobolak said this (probably recently):

>> It's interesting to see things develop from geek grassroots to corporate
>> superstars, but I see this as a bad trend -- it's hard to get people to
>> give up precious free time for something someone else profits from.  In
>> bits and pieces, the culture of sharing is being bought.
>
> None of the software produced by those three companies is licensed
> under the GPL.  Sleepycat and Zend use their own licenses, and JBoss
> uses the LGPL.

I was under the impression that some of the Zend contributions were folded
back into PHP.  Is that not the case?

And Ian -- I agree with you and hadn't considered that the knowledge that
your start-up has something to do with open source is more likely to be
purchased could lead to a flowering of new OSS start-ups.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/