Del.icio.us (was Re: [UFO Chicago] follow-up from last night--taxidermy)

sten lists at redboy.cx
Sat Feb 11 09:48:18 PST 2006

Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Last night I mentioned some of the great things about taxidermy.  Here's
> my personal collection of bookmarks on the topic:
>
> http://del.icio.us/sobolak/taxidermy

Tangential, but what do y'all think of del.icio.us? I've rediscovered
it just recently, and started really using it a lot:

http://del.icio.us/redboydotcx

For now, it's just replacing the unorganized dump of bookmarks I had
spread across a half-dozen different systems, but I'm seeing myself use
it more and more to a) mark stuff for my own purposes and b) highlight
stuff for other people.

My one quibble is the same as I have with almost every public website- I
now depend on the existence of del.icio.us to remember where the recipe
for mesquite chocolate chip cookies is, rather than my own systems,
where I know the backup schedule, I have a good idea of the time and
effort to restore in case of a disaster, and I know (well, I don't
expect) I'm not gonna suddenly up and disappear.

I guess I just want everything to be like SMTP- I'd like to run a
bookmark app on my own site, and have it talk to other people's via RSS,
XML-RPC, XMPP, whatever. Thoughts? I checked out de.lirio.us, which is
OSS, but it's still a central site.

-sten