[UFO Chicago] OT: Email in the workplace

Douglas Thompson thompson.di at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 22:17:04 PDT 2006

i worked for a company where the standing policy prevented us from accessing
our personal email.  of course, i used google to by-pass whatever filters
they had in place.  i don't think that would work in all cases though.  as
for why companies restrict personal email access, the only reason i can
think of would be to cut down on the number of viruses released into the
work environment.

as far as i'm concerned, whether or not i could access personal email would
not be a deciding factor for employment with any company, regardless of
benefits or salary.  but if a company monitored my every action, i would
only work for them if i really needed a job and/or did not intend to stay
for too long.  on that note, micromanagement irritates the hell out of me,
and negatively impacts my job performance, so i would put up with it only
for as long as i had too, then i'd be off to new and better adventures.

doug