[UFO Chicago] OT: Rational Clear Case?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Mar 31 09:45:44 CST 2005

Nick Moffitt said:
> begin  Brian Sobolak  quotation:
>> (Nevermind the open source products.  I fought that battle and lost
>> already.  No one seems to have heard of CVS or Subversion, sadly.)
>
> 	Both are already yesterday's news.  If it's proprietary you're
> after, why not look at bitkeeper?

If I were able to make a suggestion, I would probably at least head in
that direction.  Unfortunately I am being handed a directive from our IS
department and the existing solution:  either continue using VSS (at 10GB
and growing), or take the hit of migrating and go to ClearCase.  Other
tools aren't on the table, because they are 'unsupported'.

Most of the proprietary SCM tools only deal with multi-office development
in a kludgy fashion.  CVS, with all of its warts, would meet our needs for
sharing code between Chicago and India at a fraction of the cost of
ClearCase.  Moving towards something with more bells and whistles would be
even better.  But as is too often the case with corporate IT, someone made
the decision, and I just get to implement it.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/