[UFO Chicago] [Fwd: [buug] ANNOUNCE: EFF PVR Build-In, Saturday 12 March, 11AM]

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Wed Mar 2 17:06:58 CST 2005

Interesting.  Anyone know if this is happening in Chicago too?

Subject: [buug] ANNOUNCE: EFF PVR Build-In, Saturday 12 March, 11AM From:
  "Tony Godshall" <togo at of.net>
Date:    Wed, March 2, 2005 16:56
To:      bad at bad.debian.net
         buug at weak.org
         petermui at gmail.com
         zmutrux at compumentor.org

[I previously posted...]
> Subject: [buug] Re: Anyone interested in doing a EFF PVR build-in? ...
as described in...

> http://eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/buildin.php
>
> I can host a half dozen or so at my apt in Alameda.
> My cable brings in, I think, a couple of free HDTV
> channels, and we get 3Mbps.
>
> Alameda is not as handy as some places, but it's only
> a short bus ride from downtown SF or downtown Oakland.
> I'd happy go elsewhere too.
>
> If folks are interested, I'll announce a meeting for a
> Saturday following the BAD meeting.

Hi, folks.

PVR Build-In will be Saturday 12 March, 11AM at my
second-floor apartment in Alameda (two blocks West of
Webster, near shoreline).  My apartment is second floor
and looks West, so I think we have a pretty good chance
of picking up San Francisco HDTV stations.

EFF has confirmed that they are sending the EFF build-in kit:

* EFF hat and a few t-shirts
* Cool case stickers
* KnoppMyth ISO - a CD with the latest KnoppMyth distribution
* Print version of "Cooking with EFF: KnoppMyth and pcHDTV for DTV
Liberation"

I told them I have two RSVP's so I assume they are only
sending three T-shirts.  Let me know ASAP if you plan to
show and maybe they'll send more.

If you want it to be an HDTV PVR, you'll need to get
a Linux-friendly HDTV tuner, such as the pcHDTV
(antenna-only) or Air2PC (antenna + unencrypted digital
cable).  EFF's instructions are for pcHDTV so that would
probably be simplest.  If you want to do Analog, that's fine
too- the cards typically do both cable and antenna.

EFF recommends a P4 at 3GHz+ with 800MHz FSB to record HDTV.

  http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/guide.php#requirements

HDTV tuner cards seem to be going fast, so order right away!

The priority will be to get EFF HDTV PVRs up and running but
folks wanting to do analog are also welcome.  I believe the
EFF-supplied (KnoppMyth) CD supports has a pretty recent kernel
device lib.  Lower spec computers are OK for Analog, especially
if you have a card with hardware MPEG encoding.  See...

  http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

I have limited room, so you'll need to RSVP me if you plan
to come.

Tony

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/