[UFO Chicago] Re: Solaris 10?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at MooseRiver.com
Thu Feb 3 15:06:35 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:39:03PM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Nate Riffe said:
> > Brian Sobolak said this (probably recently):
> >> IMHO, I figured that Sun would have learned from the Mozilla project
> >> that
> >> just going open source doesn't magically solve problems for you.
> >
> > Netscape wasn't a hardware company.  Having said that, Sun's gotten
> > pretty damn good at not keeping pace with their own hardware
> > development and driving aquisitions into the ground[1].
> >
> > [1] I don't actually know about such things, I'm just regurgitating
> > part of a conversation I had a few days ago on the subject.
>
> Cobalt is a decent example.  Talk about a great idea:  have a small,
> headless linux box that does VPN, mail, web, print serving, file serving
> ala Samba and just about anything else.  Your tiny office could use it and
> support it themselves for the most part.
>
> Sun bought it and then totally screwed it up.  It is no more.

My housemate girlfriend was a Cobalt person. The last of the Cobalt people
got laid off in December. Sun had no idea what to do with them, had no
concreate plan to use the technology. Sun bought them and then began an
unconscious search and destroy mission.

The original plan was to use some flavor of Linux for the low-end machines,
2 processor SPARC and operton, and reserver Solaris for the hight end, 4
processor and up, machines.

Sun's only saving grace right now it that if you want to run Oracle on a
multiprocessor machine and get good performance, Sun is the only game in
town. On the low end, Linux and FreeBSD are beating them senseless and on
the high end, IBM is eating their lunch.

I hate to say it but I don't expect Sun to be around in 10 years.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 5.3
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.