[UFO Chicago] Re: Solaris 10?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at MooseRiver.com
Thu Feb 3 14:51:29 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:30:42PM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Philip Parker said:
> > I've got Solaris 10 b72 days before it finally went "gold" and was
> > released.
> > All I can say to this point (since it's hanging at a very early point in
> > installation) is that it already doesn't seem as flexible as Linux. I feel
> > myself starting to hate it. I'll give it a chance though since I
> > technically
> > do have a beta release and I'm now dealing with the learning curve.
>
> What are the differences that make it disagreeable to you?  Beyond
> hardware support, what does Linux have that Solaris doesn't.
>
> IMHO, I figured that Sun would have learned from the Mozilla project that
> just going open source doesn't magically solve problems for you.

It's been my experience that Sun is a little slow at learning from their
mistakes and don't learn at all from others mistakes. It took them a number
of years to figure out that bash was a reasonable shell. They still don't
have a collection of Open Source packages. sunfreeware.com list just over
300 packages for Solaris 9. FreeBSD has well over 10,000.

A last note. New releases of Solaris are generally not very good untill the
first big patch bundle.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 5.3
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.