[UFO Chicago] Paul Graham essays

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Aug 30 23:08:01 CDT 2005

I've found that some of his essays are quite good, while others are incredibly
sophomoric.  Anything involving LISP falls into the latter category.

Now, I don't have anything against LISP per se, having only used it a tiny
bit, but his believe that it's inherently better because you're working with
data structures directly is ridiculous.  If I'm working in Java, PHP, C++,
Perl, or whatnot, it's because I don't want to be dealing with data
structures directly.  That's the point!

His best essay, and the first one I read, is, I believe, this one:

http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

For good tech books, my recent acquisitions have been SitePoint books on web
design.  I don't know if that's up your alley, but "The CSS Anthology"[1] is
a good quick read that manages to be both a cook book and tutorial at the
same time, plus give just enough theory to make the rest of the theory make a
lot more sense.

"DHTML Utopia"[2] is also a good introduction to modern, real Javascript,
which has (finally!) gotten to the point where one can do non-stupid
mass-market things with it. :-)  It doesn't do enough JS theory, I feel,
given that Javascript is very weird to anyone used to C/C++/Java or even
PHP/Python/Perl (it's kinda LISP-ish, just to confuse people), but it's still
a useful book if you're into that sort of thing.

If the web isn't your thing, then ignore both of these. :-)  There are 4 free
sample chapters for each, though, so it's easy to get a feel for them.

[1] http://www.sitepoint.com/books/cssant1/
[2] http://www.sitepoint.com/books/dhtml1/