[UFO Chicago] Cell phones

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sat Aug 20 18:01:08 CDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Jesse Becker wrote:

> --- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Jesse Becker wrote:

>> I hate them all.  I've had Sprint, AT&T, Cingular, and
>> reseller Sprint, and I find the phone to be burden.  If
>> you feel like supporting liberal causes, I've gotten
>> decent service from Working Assets
> (www.workingassets.com)
>> and at least some of their corporate stuff goes to causes
>
>> I like.
>
> I've resisted getting a phone for many years.  I've lately
> found that not having a phone is becoming more of a hassle
> than lugging one around.  Especially since I don't plan on
> having it on all the time...(it's primarily  *me* to call
> *you*, not the other way around).

Your requirement about "free" long distance affects things somewhat.  But
if you're looking for shorter conversations of the "you're at the train
station?  Ok, I'll come getcha" variety, which seem to be 75% of all cell
phone calls, you might try looking at a pre-paid plan.  I haven't tried
them yet, but for people who don't plan on spending a lot of time on the
phone, it looks a lot cheaper than even a minimal plan from The Usual
Suspects.

I get 300 regular minutes a month and unlimited nights and weekends.
Since taxes are high and I do use SMS, my bill works out to be $45 month.
If I did the same with say, Virgin, based on current usage, my bill would
be closer to $20 - $25.  YMMV, depends on what you think you'll use it
for.