[UFO Chicago] Cell phones

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 15:32:57 CDT 2005

Anyone have any comments on coverage, customer service,
plans, prices, etc for cell phones?  I'm looking at finally
getting one of my own in the next couple of weeks.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) This is *NOT* a landline replacement.  It will probably
be a "long-distance call" replacement though, so "free"
long distance is attractive.

2) I don't care about cameras/videos/mp3s.

3) I do want basic internet services.  I don't expect to do
heavy surfing, but there are things I want to check.  The
ability to email the phone (12345678 at provider.com) would be
nice.

4) Has to sync with Linux. ;-)

Any comments, suggestions, or things you wish you'd know
when buying a phone?  This is, by far, one the most
stupidly complex things to purchase (relative to what it
*should* be).

Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2