[UFO Chicago] ls access to a dictionary?

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Sun Apr 17 13:18:27 CDT 2005

Brian Sobolak said:

> I spent some time nosing around different FreeBSD packages to see if this
> existed and didn't find anything, so I'll ask the list:
>
> My girlfriend loves crossword puzzles and will frequently ask for my help.
> I am 100% useless in that area however, and can't provide many answers.
>
> It would be really useful though to offer ls access to a dictionary.  In
> other words, I'd like an interface to find words whose length is known as
> well as certain letters, but the whole word isn't known.

apt-get install wamerican

It will install a text file at /usr/share/dict/american-english that
contains 96,274 words (it's the wordlist for ispell), one word per line
and completly greppable.

Also try installing dict-moby-thesaurus, it's a *very* comprehensive
thesaurus package for dict.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>