[UFO Chicago] Jukebox / streaming audio suggestion?

Sean Neakums sneakums at ufo.chicago.il.us
Tue Jan 13 02:26:53 CST 2004

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:

> I'm planning to rip all my CDs to disk (probably in ogg format), and
> then I'd like to be able to play them at home or at work.  To play them
> at work especially, some sort of streaming server or similar system
> would probably be best, so long as I can control it well remotely.  I
> can install any client program I need.
>
> Has anyone here done something like this?  Is there particular software
> that has worked well or not?  Icecast?

For on-demand streaming, I just use Apache and a mod_python script to
generate fancy index pages and playlists for whole directories.  The
script also generates playlists for individual files, so that my
browser doesn't need a funny association for media files and can still
be used to download random media files to disk.  One hitch is that
pausing a song will result in Apache timing out the transfer, but I
don't pause songs much anyway.