[UFO Chicago] Question: wireless internet access in Chicago?

sjk sjk at dredel.com
Thu Dec 30 16:09:49 CST 2004

<snip>
> However, I still don't understand why you
> deprecate AWB.  It's not clear that smaller
> service areas would have been economically
> feasible using the technology available when that
> system was deployed.  It's also not clear that
> WiMax will be any better, once it is deployed on a
> large scale.  WiMax is said to have a maximum
> range of 30 miles, although the optimum range is
> less than 10 miles.  Network operators are likely
> to try to serve customers using the largest
> practical service areas from a base station, at
> least until demand requires otherwise.  Those who
> don't will go out of business a la Ricochet.
> WiMax base stations are expected to be less
> expensive than Canopy base stations, but backhaul
> remains an expensive problem.

</snip>

I have worked on the AWB network -- as I said, it's just my opinion. WiMax
standards are set to come out early next year -- we'll see what happens,
but current pseudo-standard implementations are in the 8-10Mb/s range. As
to other other stuff, we have differing opinions on a technology which
currently is not in use -- so as I said we'll just have to see . . .

--sjk

-------- Aude Sepere -------
sjk at dredel.com
http://blog.dredel.com