[UFO Chicago] Question: wireless internet access in Chicago?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Dec 30 16:48:01 CST 2004

Brian T. Grant said:
> Wow, 7 eh? Hopefully your move to Speakeasy will be the last change you
> have to make for a while. Until they make you change modems for some
> reason.

Few places have modem types shown to be more incompetent than in this area.

1 - had to be sent back after I was done, mostly so they could charge lazy
people $500 for not doing so (?)

1 - couldn't handle half-duplex.  It was after at least 10 hrs on the
phone that I finally was escalated to a significant tech support for them
to realize that they had a manufacturing problem and admitted guilt.
(Solution:  use old DSL modem that worked fine from last provider)

2 - that were sent in between when I requested DSL and when the company
went bankrupt.

One of the earthlink modems I had, amazingly enough, had the same OS as
the netgear router/firewall that I had.  But they deliberately blocked
customers from using it!  I read the manual, saw the info about Zyxel, and
called tech support.  They basically said that it was disabled and if I
did try to use it, I'd void my warranty.  Sheesh.

Since the people at speakeasy were able to answer questions - you know,
like do you use PPPoE - it looks like I'll be here for awhile.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/