[UFO Chicago] Question: wireless internet access in Chicago?

Paul Suda paul at manufaxure.com
Wed Dec 29 20:11:21 CST 2004

You might want to check out American Wireless Broadband. See...

http://www.awb.us/
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/2025

I'm not sure if they serve all of Chicago, but they do serve some very
unserved areas on the south and west sides of the city.

I have not personally worked with them, but a place I know located about
4 miles directly west of downtown on Central Park Av. got their service
set up about 9 months ago. They had some problems initially, I seem to
remember them having to come out and fiddle with the antenna a few
times, and some problems on rainy days. But I think they eventually got
all of that worked out, and other than slightly above average latency,
had a good connection.

They seem to be locally based, and relatively small, so at least you
would not be "giving yet another mega-monopoly your money".

Good luck.

  - Paul