[UFO Chicago] FREE VT 520s / 220s -- good for serial console

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Oct 29 12:44:34 EST 2003

begin  Uncle Pedro  quotation:
> I have a number of DEC VT 520s and a couple VT220s that I am
> interested in getting rid of. I work at a university and we took
> these out of our system a few years ago. I'm just looking to give
> them away rather than throw them away as I have too much junk as it
> is. These are CRT textmode "dumb terminals" -- not X Terminals.

	Peter sent me one of these a couple years ago when they were
first phased out, and I've gotta say that I love the thing.  The
screen phosphors are beautifully high-contrast, and you'll wonder how
you ever read black text on a white background without eyestrain.  I
have my Model M hooked up, and it's probably the most overall
ergonomic workstation in the house.  It even does some crazy 132x60
character mode if you want, so you don't need to worry about your big
xterms spoiling you.

All it took to get the thing working with my GNU/Linux box was
to uncomment some lines in /etc/inittab and run "init q" as root.

Essentially:

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -h -H tastytronic -L ttyS0 57600 vt520

That was it!

Highly recommended!

	-- Louis Mumford

end