[UFO Chicago] Cheap printer in Lombard

Jordan Bettis jordanb@hafd.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:24:19 -0600

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:49:53PM -0500, Adam Lazur wrote:
> Jordan Bettis (jordanb@hafd.org) said:
> > So I found a leasing company in Lombard who sells off their old
> > equimpment (via a google ad). They're offering Lexmark Optra 1255
> > (Black and white PostScript laser) for $75 a pop (without toner).
>
> FWIW, I don't believe that Linux runs on this model (otherwise the
> software would be at ftp://ftp.lexmark.com:/swlab/gpl).

It's a PostScript networkable printer. You could print from your LISP
machine as long as it could understand ethernet.

Also the info page for them:
<http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/overview/0,1224,MTAzOHwx,00.html>
Says "Linux compatible via enhanced UNIX drivers". Presumably for those
who want to use parallel.

Also you could have looked here:
<http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=59648>

> Toner cartridges are around $200... kinda steep for home use, but this
> is all about office workhorse printing and stuff.

A remanufactured cartridge from lexmark cost $175 (I have from a friend
who has the same type of printer that they're great quality) and can print
17,600 pages.

(/ 175.0 17600)0.0099431818

How many $25 inkjet cartridges does it take to print out 17,600 pages?

You can get third party cartridges for around $70.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know who have gone