[UFO Chicago] Re: [chuug] Help with installing

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Rosen <paulerosen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I haven't tried anything but Red Hat. I don't have a
> particular loyalty to
> them, but I heard that was a good version to get started
> with. I'm an
> experienced Windows programmer, but know next to nothing
> about Unix. I
> definitely want a graphical interface, but I need to ease
> away from my
> Windows apps, so I need dual boot, at least at first.
>
> Do you have a suggestion for an installation that would
> be better?

It certainly won't be easy, but if you are willing to work
hard at it and learn a lot very fast, then I'd suggest
taking a look at Gentoo.  It is a source-based distribution
more similar to the BSD variants than the more traditional
'binary package' distributions like Redhat, Suse, Mandrake,
and Debian (Yes, yes, you can grab the source packages,
build them, etc, etc).

THere's a very active community, and the forums are some of
the best that I've seen (http://forums.grentoo.org).  The
docs are good (although they require some intelligence on
the part of the reader), and the IRC channels have some
good folks in them as well.

--Jesse