[UFO Chicago] debian woody on an imac rev. b -- success! (fwd)

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:43:30 -0600

Quoting presence:
> I'm ready to talk shop. Tell me more about how people reverse engineered
> an imac enough to get it to boot anything.

Well, I don't really know that much about the technical details
regarding the reverse engineering, so to speak. I know that it became
much easier after Apple switched to an Open Firmware-based boot system
as opposed to their old system, which required (i think) some Mac code
(on "invisible" partitions) to bootstrap the kernel. (You often hear
about "Old World" versus "New World" -- the New World being the OF
stuff). This was made even more simple when Apple changed to more
mundane hardware; ATA IDE drives, USB, ATI Video, etc.

pedro

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---