[UFO Chicago] debian woody on an imac rev. b -- success!

presence kkanno@users.symmetric.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:50:58 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:

> Quoting Crow Leader:
> > > 1. Money. I'm not going to buy or pirate OS/X.
> >
> > The no upgrade discount from 10.x to 10.2 Jaguar is shitty at best. It's too
> > bad, apple lost out on the second sale all together.
>
> This Rev. B iMac shipped with OS 8.x -- I didn't even have 10.x.

I hear some PCs shipped with windows. Better leave them alone for fear of
change.

> > RAM is close to free these days. Using memory to shim a door or crooked
> > appliances is not too bad of an idea.
>
> If you have a free SODIMM that the Rev. B iMac is compatible with, I'd
> be happy to install it in my iMac. But for now, there are better
> things to do with my money.

Maybe you have better things to do with your money, but not time. Yuor
time must be free?

> > Listening to word on the street about os X performance is quite original.
>
> I have a friend who put OS/X on his G3 laptop and said it was a dog,
> even when he turned off the bells and whistles. I have two other
> friends who are professional Mac Admins, one of whom told me not to
> bother, and the other said it might be passable if I got enough memory
> AND turned off the effects. Why bother with all that when I can have a
> nice looking and stable and fully featured OS that runs well in the
> current environment for 0$?

Your time is clearly valueless. I know some NT admins. They've got lots to
say about the badassness of NT and 2000. They should meet your mac admin
friends.

> > It's an OS, remember abstraction between software and hardware. What is the
> > problem with it's "freeness?"
>
> To name two: 1. I like that Debian was built from the ground up by
> volunteer hackers and I have complete control over the environment. 2.
> It didn't cost me anything.

Volunteers can piss on your wall too. Anything volunteer must be good.

> > What was the problem you are solving again? We may be on different pages
> > here.
>
> I'm making it into an ogg ripping/playing internet appliance for my
> "entertainment center". But it doesn't have to be that simple; there
> are any number of things for which GNU/Linux would be a better choice
> than OS/X in this situation.

Ok, you've clearned things up for me. It's not about technology, or any
real issue at hand aside from "where can I use linux next?.

It's like having a fire extinguisher and running starting fires so you can
use it. I don't see the point.

KEN