[UFO Chicago] IDE-CD / IDE-SCSI switching

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Dec 28 02:01:02 CST 2003

Sean Neakums wrote:

> Rebooting is not required.  What you do is build ide-scsi and ide-cd
> as modules, and load/unload as appropriate., which also eliminates the
> ridiculous boot-parameter braindamage.  This is what I did before
> migrating from legacy Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6, and it worked great.

That's what I was trying to do, but it wouldn't pick up properly.

rmmod ide-scsi
insmod ide-cd

The above gave no errors, but /dev/hdc still was not a valid block
device.  That's the part I'm trying to fix. :-)

> With Linux 2.6 ide-scsi is no longer needed for CD recording, since
> ide-cd supports the SG_IO ioctl ATAPI command passthough.  In orderto
> use this you must ditch cdrecord's bus/target/lun idiocy and specify
> the CD-R device as God intended, with a regular old device name, e.g.,
> "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc &c., &c.".  cdrecord will print a warning that
> can be safely ignored.

w00t.  About time.  Doesn't do me any good at the moment, however, as I
want to give 2.6 some more time to be field tested before placing my
system on the altar. :-)  (That and I just finally got 2.4.23 working
properly, I really don't want to do that again so soon.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson