[UFO Chicago] IDE-CD / IDE-SCSI switching

Sean Neakums sneakums at ufo.chicago.il.us
Sat Dec 27 18:39:59 CST 2003

Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> writes:

> This question is aimed mostly at Nate, but I welcome answers from anyone.
>
> I've been poking at my kernel of late on a Debian Sid box to get
> everything working purdy.  Aside from nvidia's OpenGL drivers being
> evil, I've got it all sorted out except for DVD playback and CD
> recording.  Specifically, each works on its own but requires routing
> the CDRW/DVD combo drive through IDE or SCSI emulation, respectively,
> and I have yet to figure out how to switch from one to the other
> without editing lilo.conf and rebooting.  Naturally, rebooting just to
> switch from CD burner support to DVD support is a less than desirable
> situation.

Rebooting is not required.  What you do is build ide-scsi and ide-cd
as modules, and load/unload as appropriate., which also eliminates the
ridiculous boot-parameter braindamage.  This is what I did before
migrating from legacy Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6, and it worked great.

With Linux 2.6 ide-scsi is no longer needed for CD recording, since
ide-cd supports the SG_IO ioctl ATAPI command passthough.  In orderto
use this you must ditch cdrecord's bus/target/lun idiocy and specify
the CD-R device as God intended, with a regular old device name, e.g.,
"cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc &c., &c.".  cdrecord will print a warning that
can be safely ignored.