[UFO Chicago] Needed: IT mentors for youth 14-21

john stanton stanton@kacschgo.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:17:34 -0500

Hello all,

The Youth Community Technology Program
http://www.yctp.org needs one more person to act as an "IT mentor"
for the young people in our program.

The Youth Community Technology Program (YCTP) at Korean American
Community Services (KACS), a non-profit agency located in Chicago's
Albany Park neighborhood, is looking for technology professionals to
mentor young people ages 14-21. Our students come from all over
Chicago-land and represent many ethnicities and cultural backgrounds.

The Youth Community Technology Program offers a free A+ certification
program for "at-risk" youth. Young people enrolled in the program learn
how to build and maintain computers, gain valuable experience through
internships in area non-profits, and benefit from the experience and
companionship of people from the IT industry. In addition to the
technical portion of the program, the YCTP offers education assistance,
one-on-one counseling and social service referrals, soft skills
workshops and job and education placement assistance.

Mentors meet twice a month on Saturday's from 11 AM- 2 PM. We ask the
mentors to share information about their professions, their educations,
and their passions. Mentor and mentees work together to develop a
relationship grounded in respect and trust. Mentors should be articulate
about their personal and professional interests, as well as good
listeners.

The meetings are held at Korean American Community Services 4300 North
California Ave. (near the intersection of California and Montrose) and
are convenient to public transportation.

Dates are:

April 29 (12pm-2pm)
May 10 (11am-2pm)
May 24 (11am-2pm)
June 7 (11am-2pm)
June 21 (11am-2pm)

If you are interested please contact me ASAP.

Thanks!

John

------------------

Check out our latest sucess story at:

http://www.connectchicago.net/success.aspx?story=kacs

John Stanton
Community Technology Programs Coordinator
Korean American Community Services
4300 N. California Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
(p)773.583.5501 x247