[UFO Chicago] linux kernel modification

Rob Latham rob@terizla.org
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:12:04 -0500

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:26:43AM -0500, jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com wrote:

>e Here is what I tried to do.
> I downloaded vanilla kernel 2.4.19.  I added XFS support and Givertcap.
> Unfortunately the low latency fails to patch after this.  I thin was not
> sure how to unpatch restatted this from scratch.  Once I build and compiled
> 2.4.19 everything seemed to go fine.  This is except for the aha152x.  A
> kind of shitty card to begin with.  The module loaded fine.  Problem is when
> I use my scsi scanner my system crashes within 5 minutes of its usage.  I
> tried this without Givertcap also.  Same problem.

ok, so you can't use your scsi driver with 2.4.19 (vanilla)?  ok, then
looks like no 2.4.19 for you :>

> I then downgraded again to the 2.4.18.  Everything seems fine but there is
> now low latency patch for 2.4.18.

huh?
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html#downloads
2.4.18-rc1-low-latency.patch.gz

i'm pretty sure 2.4.18-rc1 is 'close enough'. use that.

> Should I downgrade to 2.4.17? To get all
> the patches in?  If I do that though I will probably have to manually apply
> the patch because after applying the xfs patch the low lantency seems to
> fail.  This does not happen with applying the low-latency patch to a vanilla
> kernel withough XFS.

the low-latency touches some pretty core parts of the kernel. so does
the xfs patch.  there ain't no way around it: you're gonna have to
manually patch stuff.  you any good at reading diff reject files? :>
you'll have to be :>

> Should I figure out how to manually install the Low-latency patch into
> 2.4.17?  How would I go about doing that?  Is it hard?  Any webpage offering
> a how-to?

applying a bunch of patches, some of which conflict, is 90%
pain-in-the-ass, but also sometimes yes, it can be hard to know how to
masage a rejected hunk of a patch into the tree.

good luck
==rob

--
Rob Latham                                        Woodridge, IL USA