[UFO Chicago] linux kernel modification

jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:26:43 -0500

I may be asking for to much. But here is what I am trying to do.

I am trying to build a linux kernel that has the following patches:

Low latency
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html

Givertcap
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~tilmonen/givertcap/

XFS
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

The Gentoo kernel 2.4.19-r7 has the Low latency and the XFS applied to it.
Unfortuately my scsi card aha152x seems to not work with this kernel. The
module will not even load saying something about wrong irq or io address.  I
know that this is erroneous.  The card works fine with 2.4.18.

Here is what I tried to do.
I downloaded vanilla kernel 2.4.19.  I added XFS support and Givertcap.
Unfortunately the low latency fails to patch after this.  I thin was not
sure how to unpatch restatted this from scratch.  Once I build and compiled
2.4.19 everything seemed to go fine.  This is except for the aha152x.  A
kind of shitty card to begin with.  The module loaded fine.  Problem is when
I use my scsi scanner my system crashes within 5 minutes of its usage.  I
tried this without Givertcap also.  Same problem.

I then downgraded again to the 2.4.18.  Everything seems fine but there is
now low latency patch for 2.4.18.  Should I downgrade to 2.4.17? To get all
the patches in?  If I do that though I will probably have to manually apply
the patch because after applying the xfs patch the low lantency seems to
fail.  This does not happen with applying the low-latency patch to a vanilla
kernel withough XFS.

Who should I email about the aha152x bug?
How different is the aha152x from 2.4.18?  Can the .c and .h files be copied
over from it to 2.4.19?
Should I figure out how to manually install the Low-latency patch into
2.4.17?  How would I go about doing that?  Is it hard?  Any webpage offering
a how-to?

Thanks,
Jeremiah