[UFO Chicago] Linux friendly wireless access point

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:44:37 -0500

Just now Dave made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> Thanks for the info.  Do you use the Linksys?  If so, has your
> experience been good?

I have a BEFW11S4.  It has worked well most of the time, but I had
some problems upgrading the firmware, and the few problems that I've
had since then are probably on account of that whole mess.  There are
two firmware uploaders that come with this thing.  One is a Java
applet that resides on the hardware itself, but apparently only works
in IE.  The other is a modified TFTP client for Windows.  At the time
(about a year ago) there were some folk-remedy type patches floating
around in order to make the netkit tftp client work with the BEFW11S4,
so there may be a real Linux client by now.  At any rate, the firmware
pre-loaded on a BEFW11S4 or WAP11 that you would buy today is probably
sufficiently recent that you wouldn't need to upgrade the firmware
anyway.  When I bought mine, the firmware was still pretty buggy and
Linksys was making new releases every few weeks.

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
Wealth is the lowest form of greatness.