[UFO Chicago] Linux friendly wireless access point

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:49:48 -0500

Just now Dave made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> Wireless Gurus,
>
> Does anyone know of a good 802.11b access point that can be set up and
> configured using Linux only?  So many access points I've seen require MS
> Windows and USB to run the configuration utilities.  I'd like to avoid
> these and find one with a telnet interface or serial console.  Web based
> is okay too, but not my first choice.  Any Ideas?

The Linksys WAP11 and BEFW11S4 are both web administered and make no
assumptions about operating systems.  I've heard that the Netgear and
SMC access points all use the same components as the Linksys gear and
are fitted with similar administrative interfaces.  I do not know of
any telnet or serial controlled APs except perhaps a Cisco.

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
Wealth is the lowest form of greatness.