[UFO Chicago] winmodem in notebook

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:06:58 -0600

Just now Rory O'Connor made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> I just got a new fujitsu lifebook s and put mandrake 9 on it.  in my
> eternal quest to get *everything* working (regardless of whether I
> will even use it or not) I'm discovering that using the internal 56k
> modem may in fact not be possible.  has anyone ever gotten a
> winmodem in a notebook to work?

Yes.

> I found some drivers and some very vague info about it, but i still
> haven't come across one single report of somebody actually getting
> an intel or lucent based winmodem to work.

The winmodem that I know of with a linux driver are the PCTel-style
things that are often found in laptops.  I believe that there are at
least a few different manufacturers of this type of winmodem.  The
official page is at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/.

I currently have the 0.9.4 driver compiled against a 2.4.19 kernel
installed on my laptop, and it works.  I'm not really sure what's
available for other types of winmodems.

-Nate

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--
American currency is neither red, white, nor blue.