[UFO Chicago] Network fileshares

Larry Garfield lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:04:22 -0600

I believe Nate was playing with something called sfs at one point.  It
was in alpha, but did what you are asking, I think.  After the
appropriate authentications, it mounted, with encryption, a remote
directory to /mnt/sfs/adfg87adfkj2458g098hgh453@othersystem.com/ or
something equally obscure (the mess there being the public key, I
think), which you could then symlink to from anywhere.  The nice part
about sfs was that it maintained file permissions across the network
properly, although the last alpha I saw had them labeled wrong still.
:-)  (Vis, it worked properly, but ls mapped the remote user ID number
to the local user database, so it displayed the wrong name.)

Nate was rather taken with it, but I never really played with it since
my main file sharing would be between my GNU/Linux box and my Windows
box, and Windows supports only SMB and now WebDAV.  I've never cared for
Samba (mostly because SMB is an absolutely horrid protocol as far as I
can tell), and as you say WebDAV still needs a little work, although I
really need to look into it again.  Maybe we should try playing with it
together, and see how far we get.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
lgarfiel@students.depaul.edu	ICQ: 6817012

-- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." :-)