[UFO Chicago] Laptop mounting bracket?

Jordan Bettis jordanb@hafd.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:24:23 -0600 (CST)

Jesse Becker said:
> --- Jordan Bettis <jordanb@hafd.org> wrote:
>> Perhaps it'd be easier to just meet up with someone else
>> with a
>> laptop and swap out disks, they can then use their laptop
>> rsync your disk onto your desktop.
>
> Ahh..but that presumes that my laptop runs long enough to
> finish booting, much less rsync some many gigbytes of data.
> Normally, this would be one of the first courses of action
> I'd take.

I mean, remove your drive from your laptop, put it in someone
else's laptop, boot up and rsync over a lan. I'm assuming that
it's some peice of hardware other than your hard drive that is
failing?

This is, of course, in lew of obtaining a IDE adapter.

> Not that old.  It's a Dell Latitude CPr with a P-II 400
> chip.  I'm 99% sure that it's straight 2.5" IDE.

It's probably fine, but it's more the hardware than the protocol.
They didn't have standardized caddies or plugs before that. My
laptop has a nonstandard plug but it was upgraded by the previous
owner and they got an adapter for it. When I upgraded my drive I
just took their adapter off and stuck it on the new drive.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
This message has been written using my webmail system.