[UFO Chicago] 'must have' packages

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:09:03 -0600

Quoting Jordan Bettis:
> Granted, it wouldn't work very well in a hard drive crash, but if you
> have the space to spare you could keep a copy of all the system bits in
> backup. It'd use up alot of space but if you don't think you'd
> properly maintain a metapackage (Which would need to be *perfectly*
> maintained for it to be of use if you want it to diff /etc properly),
> it would be a nice, low maintenence alternative.

Definitely. And that's a great option for lots of people. I tend to
prefer making a clean break, package-wise when I do a big move to new
hardware; I like having the opportunity to clean out all the cruft and
things that don't need to be there, or that I've forgotten about. But
I could have done what you suggested, and it really would have been a
lot easier, in some ways.

Peter

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---