[UFO Chicago] "must have" packages

Tue, 5 Nov 2002 00:25:09 -0600

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a Debian GNU/Linux server, and as you know I rebuilt
flynn recently. I want to put together a list of all the sort of "must
have" packages for a shell/web/mail server like flynn (or zork).

No X11 apps need apply.

Here's a partial list of what I've got -- the problem is, I always
forget some apps, and then end up having to install them 2 weeks later
when I actually need them -- but if there was a sort of informal
checklist, that would be great. Anyway, here's my informal list.

Also, many of these require other packages that are not listed here,
but installing them will load those required packages (so they don't
need to be listed here specifically).

editors:
vim
emacs21 [in the interests of fairness]
nano

shell:
ssh
telnet

utils:
sudo
screen
perl
less
rsync
logcheck
mtr-tiny
traceroute
whois
nmap
queso

mail:
exim [insert MDA here]
procmail
mutt
spamassassin
mailman

web:
apache
links-ssl
lynx-ssl [people have preferences]
wget

crypto:
gpg

fun:
dict
gcal
irc client
nethack [critical]
robotfindskitten [also critical]

smb:
samba, et al, if need be

kernel:
binutils
bin86
gcc
make
autoconf

... well that should be enough to get you guys started -- release the
hounds!

Again, things like m4 will get pulled in with other packages. But if
you want to list them separately, that's cool.

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---