[UFO Chicago] On Ion and Mail clients...

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:50:55 -0600

Quoting Michael C.:
> agreed. screen obviates the need for many previously-thought-necessary
> tools such as "window managers" and "the 'cd' shell builtin".

I realize that this is an old thread, but yeah, screen is The OG Bomb,
and if you know me, you know I don't use phrases like that, so I Must
Really Mean It! I do!

Screen also allows you to share terminal views with other users
(should you choose to) allowing for cool remote teaching tools (sort
of a 70s era Vnc if you will...) as well as split terminal windows and
shift between them (and resize them). I often have irc in a little 10
line terminal on the bottom and mutt in the top window.

Plus, and perhaps most importantly, screen allows you to detach your
screen from yiour terminal and it will keep it happily rolling along,
allowing you to do things like start kernel compiles or log in to irc,
detach, go to a cafe, pick the window back up transparently and pick
up where you left off.

This is how it appears that we never log out of irc. And in fact, we
don't!

It's also great, because you can spawn processes inside a screen (like
dumont on flynn) so that if we want to pick up dumont's process and
see what he's seeing (like if he's hung or something), we can do that,
rather than having to just kill the process.

In conclusion: screen rules!

Peter

--
Peter A. Peterson II, technician and musician.
---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---