[UFO Chicago] Key Signing... more questions

Neil R. Ormos ormos@enteract.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:15:04 -0500 (CDT)

Nate Riffe wrote:
> Just now Neil R. Ormos made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:

> > In the "Rock... Falling... What'll... I... Do?" department:

> > When I try to get Jesse Becker's key from pgp.mit.edu
> > using "gpg --recv keys", gpg reports "no valid OpenPGP
> > data found."  The other four keys to be signed were
> > available at pgp.mit.edu.

> > Is there another key server I need to point to?

> I tried several and have reverted to simply emailing Jesse
> for his key.

> Also, after you've signed the keys, don't forget to upload
> them with their new sigs.

Suppose Jesse sends me his key via e-mail.  Once I've signed it,
is it correct that I need to export it using the --armor option
and mail it back to him?

Some people don't want their public keys on keyservers, so I
assume it would be very wrong for *me* to send the key to
pgp.mit.edu, if Jesse hasn't already put it there himself,
no?

If Jesse keeps the public key, signed with many signatures,
essentially private, releasing it only upon request, what is
the value of the signatures?

  --neil