[UFO Chicago] more GPG questions - sorry.

Nate Riffe inkblot@movealong.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:13:12 -0500

Just now Robert B. Moses made 15 LEDs in my apartment flash with this:
> Having generated my key on my linux box...how can a backup/retreive the
> key, fingerprint and all that?
> Also is there a way to use the my key on multiple machines?
> I started wading through the Gnupg webpage but didn't have enough patience.

All your gpg stuff is stored in your home directory under ".gpg".  For
making backups and using your key on multiple machines, just copy that
directory around.

To fetch your fingerprint:

gpg --fingerprint <your key id>

To export your key to an ascii text file:

gpg --armor --export <your key id>

To upload your key to a key server (wwwkeys.us.pgp.net, pgp.mit.edu,
etc):

gpg --keyserver <server> --send-key <your key id>

To figure out your key id:

gpg --list-keys "Moses"

--
--< ((\))< >----< inkblot@movealong.org >----< http://www.movealong.org/ >--