[UFO Chicago] CEO's Report for March 14th.

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:58:23 -0800

begin  Jordan Bettis  quotation:
> Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
> citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a
> double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows
> the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the
> blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no
> need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry,
> infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of
> their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is
> what I have done. And I am Caesar.
>         -- Julius Caesar

http://www.crackmonkey.org/pipermail/crackmonkey/2001q1/016604.html
(reposted without permission, but acknowledged and thanked by author)
> The only times our country is in danger--true danger--is when some
> idealist finds himself in a position of power.  Because they nurse
> beautiful ideals to their ambitious breasts--they will sacrifice you
> and me to those ideals without a qualm.  More wars sprouted in this
> country during times of saints than fools--Lincoln, Wilson,
> Roosevelt (the younger), and Kennedy managed to spill more blood,
> between them, than any Eisenhower or Harding or Tyler.

The entire article in that URL is a real hoot, and worth the read.

--
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
end