[UFO Chicago] CEO's Report for March 14th.

Jordan Bettis jordanb@hafd.org
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:50:27 -0600

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 09:02:51AM -0600, Rob Latham wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:40:29AM -0600, Peter A. Peterson II wrote:
> =20
> > UFO CHICAGO! [ cue theme music ]
> >=20
> > yours,
> >=20
> > pedro a. pedroson ii
> >=20
> > PS: We really need theme music.
>=20
> I propose the techno remix of the rms free hackers song.  If they
> aren't with US they will run in FEAR.

That reminded me to post a link to the song in question.

Here is RMS's magnum opus (216k):
<http://acm.eecs.uic.edu/~jordanb/RMS_-_Share_the_Software.mp3>

And the techno (4.3M):
<http://acm.eecs.uic.edu/~jordanb/RMS_-_Share_the_Software_Techno.mp3>

By the way, I mentioned a quote by Julius Caesar at the meeting. Here
it is:

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a
double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows
the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the
blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no
need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry,
infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of
their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is
what I have done. And I am Caesar.
        -- Julius Caesar

It's appearently from his book, _De Bello Gallico_ (Commentaries On
The Gallic War), but I've grepped through a translation and haven't
been able to found it. The notes on the translation I found say
that two chapters are missing, so it might be in one of those
chapters.

--=20
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is
far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your
HONOR. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in
America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed
at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way
to the poorhouse.
        -- Mark Twain.

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e--