[UFO Chicago] Cooling fan wiring.

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT)

I have a really simple wiring question.

One my old, decrepit laptops recently had a fan go out on
it, specifically, the bearings are shot, and it makes a
heck of a noise everytime the fan engages.  "No problem", I
think replacing the fan is easy:  order a new fan, swap
parts, continue on my merry way.

Problem 1:  the old fan has three wires, and a plug that
takes three pins.  The new fan has two wires, and takes two
pins.  Oops.  This is a Dell laptop, and they were very
quick to sell me a new fan, and the part numbers are, in
fact, identical, so I can't really fault the sales drone.

Problem 2:  I know fairly little about electronics at this
level I have no problems doing things, but aside from
"black is ground," "lots of volts and amps can kill you,"
and "don't screw around with big capacitors," I don't know
much else.

Fan details (for both):  Made by Sunon, Part number:
KD0502PFB3-8.  Takes DC5V.

On the old plug, if the "flat" side of the plug is down,
the wires are, left to right: red, yellow, black.

On the new plug, same orientation, it is:  black, red.

I do not mind cutting the wires and reconnecting them, but
I also do not want to cut the wires, and have a non-working
fan either.  So, my question is:  Can I swap the plugs on
the fans?

Heh...long email for a short question...

Thanks,

--Jesse