[UFO Chicago] Webmail software

Matthew Sayler sayler@speedsite.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:18:09 -0500

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 03:21:12PM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Matthew Sayler  quotation:
> > Back to charter, we do use quite a bit of free software here:
> >
> > . qmail / qpopper for mail
>
> 	I hate to rain on your parade, but qmail is not free software.
> It's available at no cost, but you're not allowed to distribute
> certain types of modifications.

And it's a pain, but we live with it.  I guess I'm a pragmatist.
Interestingly enough we quoted T1 service to djb a few months back...
We hack the source, people patch it.  It's not GPL.  It's not even
close.  But it is a very solid and well-engineered program.

I have come to like qmail, despite all its quirks.  djb is, if nothing
else, interesting to watch.

> > Notable areas where we do not use it:
> > . web-stats (no really good free package I've found)

Our main problem with the free packages I've looked at is that they are
not very interactive and they kind of look plain.  It's quite possible
to cook something up that would meet both requirements, but I haven't
seen it yet.  Our main consumers of web-stats in report format are our
customers and they seem to be happier with slashier things.

Matt

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Sr. Network Engineer, Speedsite Online
 * (773) 324-2954 -- sayler@speedsite.com */