[UFO Chicago] Webmail software

Matthew Sayler sayler@speedsite.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:50:45 -0500

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 12:14:06PM -0700, Jesse Becker wrote:
> --- Matthew Sayler <sayler@speedsite.com> wrote:
> > $ uname -a
> > SunOS ghanima 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
>
> >From which war is this a spoil? :-)

No war, just an ISP.  Speaking of which--any techies who are interested
in clue-enabled Internet service feel free to drop a line.  We do DSL,
dial up, T1, T3, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Back to charter, we do use quite a bit of free software here:

. qmail / qpopper for mail
. apache / php / mod_ssl / mod_perl for web-hosting in various places
. mysql for some of our db's
. cflowd / mrtg / cricket for performance gathering
. freeradius for authentication
. lots perl for automation
. ssh / vnc for file transfer / remote access
. Cygwin on windows for Unix-alike access
. imp for webmail
. bind for DNS
. faubackup (a Debian package) for backups

Notable areas where we do not use it:
. web-stats (no really good free package I've found)
. production databases (for historical reasons mostly--one MSSQL and one
  Sybase
. Our accouting / user management system
. IIS/ASP webservice (about 20% of our sites)
. desktop applications -- everyone has Windows2k and OpenStep 4 (!)
  machines on their desktop.
. database reporting tools
. monitoring/paging service (for historical reasons)

I think that makes us a fairly UFO ISP.  We use technology that we're
comfortable with.  It also happens to work pretty well and a great
price.  If anyone has comments about the areas we do not use free
software (especially web-stats, service monitoring, etc.) I'd love to
hear about it.

Matt

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Sr. Network Engineer, Speedsite Online
 * (773) 324-2954 -- sayler@speedsite.com */