[UFO Chicago] Dell PowerEdge 4200 w/Megaraid question

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 4200 with an AMI MegaRAID in it.
>
> I have the megaraid stuff all set up in the kernel -- the
> device shows
> up (/dev/megaraid0) and it appears in /proc/scsi/scsi --
> and I have
> the array configured as a 4-disk RAID 5 array -- that's
> the hard part,
> right?

That's most of the hard part, I think.

> So, my question is, what now? Does anyone know what the
> device files are for a megaraid logical drive? Do I just
> makefs on it at this
> point, or is there more raid voodoo i have to do to
> actually make it appear as a disk?

For strict software RAID, you need to run 'raidstart'
before you actually use the array, but once that's done,
you should be all set.  Since this is fancy Dell hardware,
I don't know if that's required.  Again, for software raid,
the devices are /dev/md{0,1,2, etc}; I expect that the
Megaraid stuff is similar.

At this point, you should be able to make a filesystem,
mount the device, and start using it.  You should be able
to use /dev/megaraid0 just like you would /dev/sda,
/dev/hdb, or any other block device.

Since you are doing RAID5, I would experiment with
different stripe sizes for the array--there can be
drasitcally different transfer rates for different
settings.

Since you haven't set anything up on the array yet, it
shouldn't matter if you corrupt anything, right?  :-)

--Jesse