[UFO Chicago] very newbie 'nix question

Jordan Bettis jordanb@hafd.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:20:24 -0600

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:41:53AM -0600, Nate Riffe wrote:
> Quoting Jordan Bettis:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 11:01:30PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> > > Please don't Cc me on list mail.  Better still, get a client that
> > > understands the Mail-Followup-To header.
> >=20
> > Hear Hear, I really can't stand it when people do that. For me, it's
> > an even bigger annoyance, because my procmail sorts mail based
> > primarily on what is in the To: header. When someone sends a follow to
> > one of my mail messages, I get two copies in my spool directory, and
> > none in the mailing list's mailbox.  Granted, I could double the size
> > of my .procmailrc to make it sort by ether To: or Cc:, or deliver
> > email from people who use mailers with that misfeature to the bit
> > bucket.
>
> Try sorting by Subject.  That's why [UFO Chicago] is in there, for
> sorting.  It doesn't eliminate dupes, but it does file them
> correctly.

Hrmm, that would work too.

> BTW, I just wiped maverick's hard disk (except for /home) and
> installed Debian Friday night (two machines down, one to go).  With
> that I decided to switch to mutt from pine in part because it's such
> a PITA to get pine for Debian.  I'm slowly getting used to it but I
> have some lingering questions...

> 1) My procmailrc suddenly stopped sorting my mail....  WTF?!?!?!? It
> all goes in my inbox now.  I expect that this probably isn't related
> to mutt, but what the hell, it's b0rken and I'm stumped.  My old
> mail chain on this box was sendmail -> procmail -> various inboxes.
> The current mail chain is postfix -> procmail -> spool.

I'm not sure. Make sure your ~/.forward has '| /usr/bin/procmail' in
it, and that your .procmailrc doesn't have anything wrong with
it. Also, check to make sure there's not a global procmailrc that's
messing with your local settings or anything. You might want to post
your .procmailrc or send it to me or something.

Oh yeah, also make sure procmail is installed ;-). dpkg -L procmail
should do it.

> 2) How do I set the line wrap?  My lines are going all the way to
> the edge of my xterm (probably about 140 chars +/- 15) in the
> editor.  I have no idea how mutt normally does things.  Note: the
> editor in question is nano, not vim.

That's an editor issue. In emacs, I can set auto-fill-mode, or I can
hit M-q which is a shortcut to fill-paragraph while my cursor is on
the paragraph in question. That's what I did to clean up your post
(emacs is even smart enough to know that it needed less than signs at
the beginning of every line and added them

> >  I think the best way to handle it is to add yet another annoying
> > behavior to the 'bad nettiquite' list and see if that doesn't fix
> > the problem.
>
> Might as well.  Although it probably wouldn't be as annoying with a
> proper procmailrc (as if I'm one to talk about having a proper
> procmailrc :) >

Yeah, I'll get around to fixing it eventually. The problem is that the
copy sent directly to me still ends up in my inbox.

--=20
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
Symmetry is a complexity-reducing concept (co-routines include subroutines)=
;=20
seek it everywhere.
          -- Alan J Perlis: Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN 1982

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft--