[UFO Chicago] Java IDE

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
08 Jan 2002 10:10:23 -0600

On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 23:42, Larry Garfield wrote:
> Amen!  If Java were REALLY done right, you'd drop a .jar file into a
> directory, execute it with a double-click (or "java blah.jar" for the
> command-line set) and be done with it.  Until you have that, Java is
> little more than business glue, a Perl for those who think Perl isn't
> "professional enough" because it lacks a major company behind it.  It
> hasn't got a chance in consumer space.

Do people really use Java for glue?  I've never really programmed with
it, but it seems like about the worst choice you could find for glue --
it can talk network protocols just fine, but I would imagine it's
relatively hard to call C code, parse arbitrary program output, or any
of the things that constitute glue.  The whole "portability" thing would
seem to get in the way.

  Ian