[UFO Chicago] New Linux Website

Rory O'Connor rory@thewhiteroom.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:18:50 +0000

I didn't do the setup, but I just asked the guy that admins the mail...

> What were the specific reasons why you went this route?  Cost of
> implementation vs. the cost of maintaining an in house solution?

mostly it was a load issue.  getting the processing off our servers was worth the cost.

> A) The interface that users configure their preferences in is on
> Postini's website, not our own.  With SA and a bit of hardware (which we
> happen to have laying around), we can have complete control of our users
> mail filtering experience.  An in-house system (using SA would) also
> allow us to 'plug' the SA functionality into our existing user account
> management system (in devel).

yeah, i agree with that.  control is always nicer.  but postinit's interface is really easy and in the end, they are handling all the hard stuff and gettin' it done.  that's what is important.

> B) From the design diagrams that I saw, I would have point my MX records
> to their servers.  This makes debugging MX problems a bit more tricky.
> I feel a bit uncomfortable trusting our users email to the
> stability/reliability of someone else's MX (that I can't get access to
> for debugging).

true.  apparantly there have been instances where their servers didn't respond.  We put our mailserver as the tertiary MX and that works in such emergencies.

> C) Cost.  What are they charging per mailbox these days?  I assume
> they're still doing a sliding scale based on volume?

it's somewhere around a buck a mailbox per month.  a great deal, I think.

hope that helps.

thanks,

rory

--