[UFO Chicago] Oooh Linux/Apple fun!

The Antiwesley antiwes@execpc.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:15:46 -0500

I received a spam today from Apple about a 'seminar' running near the end=20
of the month and
thought I'd share it for food for thought as it struck me odd:

You=92re invited to see Xserve, Apple=92s 1U rack-mountable server solution,
and Mac OS X Server v10.2 in action and learn why they=92re an ideal option
for your business.

An industrial-strength solution with Macintosh ease of use that simplifies
network administration and substantially reduces costs.
Xserve integrates seamlessly into your current network infrastructure,
so you don't have to replace the technology you've already invested in.
Built on open standards, Mac OS X Server supports standard networking=20
protocols
and accommodates Windows and UNIX as well as Apple clients.

What You Will Learn
=95  How Apple=92s innovative technology and hardware design deliver the=
 ability
to harness the processing power of duel 1GHz G4 processors and 480 gigabytes
of internal storage in a slim 1U enclosure

=95  How integrated tools like Server Monitor for Xserve and Workgroup=
 Manager
for Mac OS X Server deliver remote monitoring and flexible administration
options that decrease server administration time

=95  See the latest in hardware and software solutions for Xserve and Mac OS=
server from Apple=92s developers, with solutions for: - Business - Print and=
=20
publishing
- Web - UNIX

=95 Understand how Apple=92s unlimited client licensing can lower your=
 software=20
costs
and how the new 24x7 tech support can protect your hardware investment

=95 How Mac OS X Server software supports standard networking protocols and=
=20
open standards to deliver:
- Apple file services - POP and IMAP mail
- SMB/CIFS file services - FTP server
- NFS file services - QuickTime Streaming Server
- Print services - DNS services
- Apache web server - DHCP
- TomCat server - LDAP servers
- WebDAV server

Granted, I'll never ever be able to afford one, but the seminar is free, so=
=20
it may
be worth it just to learn a little more about it. :)
(and no, this is not advertising, I'm not connected with Apple or the likes,
I just received the email... odd that Apple would be pushing Linux.)

http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ASPRegistration.woa/wa/even=
tsByEventSeries?eventSerieId=3D2632

"What utter dangerous rubbish. Dangerous because this person has mastered=
 the
  tricks of the liberal muck-raker trade; Al Sharpton would be proud of=
 him."
                  - Bob Bernstein, CrackMonkey, 1/27/02
-
   Get Warped! High Quality Web Hosting starting at $5/Month www.warped.com