[UFO Chicago] Sad crashing of Linux server

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
02 Aug 2002 13:07:50 -0500

A dedicated server of mine has been crashing in bad ways.  I don't have
physical access, so all I know is that the services shut down (ssh,
telnetd, apache)... not all of them, the POP server is still there, but
not fully functional (this is odd that it works at all, since both POP
and telnet are inetd services).  To get it back, I've had to ask for it
to be rebooted.

I don't know why this is happening.  It's very sad.  I haven't found
anything in the logs, but I'm not sure exactly where to look.

Does anybody have any ideas of where to start looking?

Oh, and this is a Debian system, running Woody.

Thanks,
  Ian