[UFO Chicago] pcmcia modems -- any recommendations

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:08:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Moses <robert.moses@helioslogic.com> wrote:
> my pcmcia winmodem passed into silicon heaven (thank God!),
> so I need to replace it. I'm trying to avoid the windmodem pitfalls
> and want a normal hardware controller modem. Any suggestion of
> manufactures/models that you all have had success with running under
> linux (looking for product endorsement here).

For a long time, I used a USRobotics Megahertz 56 card.  The model number is
"XJ5560".  It's an X-Jack card--meaning there's not annoying dongle to
loose/break/forget.  Instead, there's a spring-loaded jack that pops in and
out of the card directly; it's very nice indeed.

It performed flawlessly for years, and was quickly and easily detected by
the  kernels I was running at the time (early 2.4 series).  I'd still be
using it if it hadn't hadn't met a member of Canis Familiaris...

I also have a Xircom RBEM56G-100, but have had extrememly mixed results with
it.  It's a Type II NIC/modem combo card with 3 jacks built directly into
the side (just plug and go, in theory).  However, I've gotten the NIC to
kinda work once, and the modem a few times.  There supposedly is a Xircom
card similar to this one that actually works well under Linux, but I'd be
very careful in getting a Xircom card.

--Jesse